46 (Talavera 1809) Battery
The Bty was formed in 1794 by Captain Legge as part of the Royal Irish Artillery. It joined the Royal Artillery in 1801 when the Royal Irish Artillery was disbanded.
In January 1809 the Bty, then commanded by Capt HB Lane, sailed from Plymouth to join the British Army fighting the Peninsular Campaign in Portugal. Soon after landing it was formed into a 6-pounder brigade. On 7 May 1809 the Bty’s fought its first action in the Peninsular Wars where it started to pursue the French through Portugal and into Spain.